Welcome to GTAPoliceMods

Welcome to GTAPoliceMods, like most online communities you must register to interact or post within our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Guests can NOT download files. This is to prevent bots and malicious users. If you wish to have these restrictions removed, you can create an account or signing in. By signing up you gain the ability to...

• Download and upload unlimited files
  • Access to the Marketplace
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Upload Gallery Images
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Lost_Soul

I am completely hopeless! :D

Question

So, I've been trying for weeks to make my own international ambulance mod, and all I have accomplished is littering my desktop with files, installed useless programs I can't understand, and caused myself a mess of trouble. Also, my youtube is recommending nothing but tutorials I can't follow. I've been trying really hard, but I've accomplish nothing so far. My main issue is that I do NOT know how to view the TXD files. They are always either some solid color, or a few details, and I can't really do. much with it. Really, I'm just confused and giving up hope at this point. I'm wondering what advice/support the community can give me, and if someone would be wiling to help me accomplish a mod just so I can learn. Thank you.

15 answers to this question

if you are going to build a scratch built ambulance, I would start with the model, then move on to adding dummies. Once that is done, you need to assign materials and UV Map your model. After all that is done, you have only created you .dff... This is the point to move on to your .txd

Do you have a program that will allow you to vies the .txd file or no?

Posted (edited)

I actually found an ambulance, a beautiful international that just needs paint and lights. The issue is, I can't figure out how to do it. I have veiwed the .txd file, but its just GRAY GRAY and GRAY with a bit of blue. I've torn apart several mods, they are all this way. It's like the base color is everything and somehow everyone just knows where to put the rest...and I have no idea how to change the lights.

Edit: added the current mod I found, as well as a quick drawing I did on an international base of what I want it to look like. So basically...how do I get my drawing onto that ambulance? x.x

https://imgur.com/a/tnfisIt and https://imgur.com/a/26roaUg

Edited by Lost_Soul
added pics

Moderation Action: Thread moved to appropriate forum.

Thank you!

Kind regards,

Ray

The harder you work for something, the greater you'll feel when you achieve it.

What are you using to view the txd with? That ambulance is actually one of my releases and I use Magic TXD. @WolfSchultz might have a copy of the template to change the paint job to what you want. I do too just I am on my phone right now. 

When you say you are viewing the txd are you looking at the actual txd file or are you looking at the model in 3ds/zmod trying to see textures on it there? 

Changing lights out is relatively simple once you get an understanding of 3ds and a txd editor and we can work on that soon. 

So I had a VERY long talk with PArescueEMT and... really question my ideas now. Most of what I thought was rather absurd. Making mods is incredibly difficult, and I simply think that I don't have what it'll take to do it. There are so many steps, so many programs, so much I don't understand, and being that Autism also is murder on my attention span, I think I'll just accept that for me, I will probably not being doing a mod anytime soon. I need to learn all this, and that will take me time. But I appreciate all your help! I really do.

2 hours ago, Lost_Soul said:

So I had a VERY long talk with PArescueEMT and... really question my ideas now. Most of what I thought was rather absurd. Making mods is incredibly difficult, and I simply think that I don't have what it'll take to do it. There are so many steps, so many programs, so much I don't understand, and being that Autism also is murder on my attention span, I think I'll just accept that for me, I will probably not being doing a mod anytime soon. I need to learn all this, and that will take me time. But I appreciate all your help! I really do.

Anything is possible if you are committed to it. No one (that I know of) becomes a modder overnight. It is a skill that you constantly develop. That being said don't be afraid to reach out to our Verified Developers or the community for help (not saying they will, as some may not have the time). My last piece of advice for you is that life, in general, is about using people (not in a bad way, but in a good way). What I mean is most people who want to achieve something will look up to those who have already achieved said goal, and attempt to follow their footsteps.
At the end of the day keep working towards your goals and you will come to realize that you can do it.
Ray

Kind regards,

Ray

The harder you work for something, the greater you'll feel when you achieve it.

Posted (edited)
On 8/13/2019 at 11:40 AM, Lost_Soul said:

Like PArescueEMT said start small i may not have autism but i do have problems learning, that being said I've been where you are i was discouraged at first as well, but as i kept playing the game the more i wanted to change things to my liking, so after reading a very well written text tutorial on the original GPM which is no longer available, i used a program called TXD editor, once i finally extracted a txd image i modified it in a program called Paint.net(Free) and started playing around with the textures and customized my game to how i wanted it, but i really wanted to import an 18 wheeler, i managed to find a free peterbilt 379 and i moved all the dummies to where i wanted them and well this happened(photo included) i was devastated but i put more time aside and eventually copied and pasted the original dummy's in and everything was upright but not in the correct location, so after weeks of sifting through tutorials i learned that every dummy has to be in a specific orientation so you can only move the dummies one axis at a time in order for everything to line up correctly, also if you do eventually get to that stage do not move dummies if you intent to use it online as it will desync your vehicle on the server and everyone else, so needless to say it took me a long time but i did eventually figure it out but sadly never released it, i hope you don't give up because modifying your game is very rewarding.

LMAO.jpg

Edited by Marty

Posted (edited)

I really do appreciate all the support, I truly do. I just need to find a good step by step (and mean STEP by mother loving STEP) tutorial, with pictures, that can teach me. If I can accomplish one mod, I should have no problem pumping them out because once I do something once (rarely twice or three times) I'll know it for life. I just need that first step. I think to start, I'll download paint.net and figure out a nice base. Template and such, do the art, see how that goes. Then, I'll work on doing the ELM. Finally, I'll put it all together and see how it works. 

Ultimately, my goal here is a small pack for:

Ambulance

Fire truck

Fire truck la

Utility van

After those, a second pack with all the police vehicles.

BTW, I've been having a weird issue. While my ELM works with everything (even non-emergency vehicles) I have yet to find an HPV1000 model with ELM working. Some even look mapped, but they never flash. Is this just a bad selection of models, or is the ELM not compatable with motorcycles?

Edit: I got paint.net and messed with it, it's really nice and easy to use. But I'm having an issue with the filling in tool. It's only filling one tiny section at a time. Is there a way to like pull the OUTLINE of everything WITHOUT all the triangles inside, so it's just a flat black and white drawing?

Edited by Lost_Soul
added to post

7 hours ago, Lost_Soul said:

Edit: I got paint.net and messed with it, it's really nice and easy to use. But I'm having an issue with the filling in tool. It's only filling one tiny section at a time. Is there a way to like pull the OUTLINE of everything WITHOUT all the triangles inside, so it's just a flat black and white drawing?

Make a new layer, trace around the area you want to fill with the select area tools, use paint bucket to fill in area on new layer, profit

Posted (edited)

So I couldn't get the left click + shift thing to work, but after about 3 hours of tracing, I finally got a template I feel I can use! ^-^

I can't thank you all enough for the help on that. It truly means alot.

However, I now find two more issues standing the way of my first mod. First, I have no idea how to do ELM lighting yet. Something about 3d modeling and such?

Second, this ambulance model has NO roof mount lightbar. Now in my discord chat with PA, he explained it was a complex process with many things, and changing the model and so on...so I'm asking for more help with that also. Ideally, I'd like to have a Federal Signal Vison SLR on this particular model. If you haven't seen it yet, it's an LED version of the original Vision that also has rotating function. The lights are on a microchip board with a spinning mirror over them that creates the same rotating effect of normal halogens, which is great because the light sweeps over everything in the way of the approaching vehicle to illuminate it, making drivers see the light before they even see the vehicle at intersections blocked by buildings, but is still as bright as normal LEDs, giving the best of both worlds. If someone can help me add that and the ELM, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

Edit: A quick work in progress picture from me finishing the trace and adding the base! What do you think? https://imgur.com/a/QfjPeNV

Edit 2:I fixed the file! It was simply too big. It needed to be 1024 x 1024. Anyways, while it needs some editing to make it all match up right, the texture works! You have no idea how overjoyed I am! Now if I can learn ELM, I'll be pumping out mods!

Edited by Lost_Soul
added picture
  • Like 1