Welcome to GTAPoliceMods

Welcome to GTAPoliceMods, like most online communities you must register to interact or post within our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Guests can NOT download files. This is to prevent bots and malicious users. If you wish to have these restrictions removed, you can create an account or signing in. By signing up you gain the ability to...

• Download and upload unlimited files
  • Access to the Marketplace
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Upload Gallery Images
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

GTA V has been updated. Make sure your games are backed up and ready to revert back. Please note that staff are unaware of the timeframe in which RPH and Scripthook will be updated, so please refrain from inquiring. We’ll notify you when they’ve updated. ×
RedHockey

It's no longer a crime to refuse to help a cop in Calif.

It's no longer a crime to refuse to help a cop in Calif. The governor signed a bill striking down a law that makes it a crime to refuse to help a cop 
By Andrew Sheeler

The Tribune (San Luis Obispo, Calif.)

SACRAMENTO, Calif. — A legal vestige from California’s Wild West days is no more.

Gov. Gavin Newsom signed a bill striking down a law that makes it a crime to refuse a police officer’s request for help.

The California Posse Comitatus Act of 1872 made it a misdemeanor for any “able-bodied person 18 years of age or older” to refuse a police officer’s call for assistance in making an arrest.

Posse comitatus derives from medieval English common law, but saw widespread use in America’s early days, including as a tool of enforcement for the Fugitive Slave Act.

Senate Bill 192, sponsored by Sen. Bob Hertzberg, D-Los Angeles, removes the law from the books. Hertzberg called the law “a vestige of a bygone era” that subjects citizens to “an untenable moral dilemma.”

The bill was opposed by the California State Sheriff’s Association, which said in a statement, “There are situations in which a peace officer might look to private persons for assistance in matters of emergency or risks to public safety and we are unconvinced that this statute should be repealed.”

Newsom did not issue a statement when he signed the bill into law.

The law was cited as recently as 2014, when the Trinity County Sheriff’s Office invoked posse comitatus in its defense during a lawsuit filed by a man and woman alleging they were deceived into responding to a dangerous 911 call on the office’s behalf.

©2019 The Tribune (San Luis Obispo, Calif.)

https://www.policeone.com/legal/articles/484905006-Its-no-longer-a-crime-to-refuse-to-help-a-cop-in-Calif/

• Like 1

I've been away so I never saw this but that's pretty interesting. Honestly I didn't even know that was a law anywhere. Seems like a stretch to consider it a law as it should be right alongside voting - a civic duty, but not required. While I, personally, would always help an officer, I know that there are many reasons even outside of not liking police as to someone not helping. 

• Like 2

I mean, I'm not sure how I feel about this? On one hand I agree, and disagree with it. Just on the basis that a LEO could be asking for help with a really messed up situation and whether or not a person chooses to help shouldn't be a crime. Although I feel like California is doing it for their own anti LEO agenda.

• Like 4