Fire Dept. Clean Cab Concept Debate / Discussion

Stang

GPM Members,

I want to hear everyone's opinions on the hot topic of the fire service right now, Clean Cabs. The idea behind this is longevity of life after the service. The procedures for it are different everywhere you look but the idea is the same in which no gear that entered a fire, smoke, hazardous materials, etc. shall not enter the cab until decontaminated. All members of the apparatus must place turnout gear (or anything else) in a separate compartment on the vehicle. Once returned back to the station, depending on the dept. and their budget some have a commercial turnout gear cleaner. less fortunate depts. must load the gear into the bed of a utility truck and haul it off to a facility. While your primary pair of turnouts is out of service you must place your second pair in service. All in all this is definitely a process but its a start, I want to hear what some of you thing about this. I have provided enough info for even you non fire guys go forge up a response! Reply Below!

-Stang Skinz

Staff Team

I (Stang) personally think that this is good for the fire service. As myself and my peers are the next generation in the fire service I am glad to see initiative is being taken to better our futures. Is it a lot of extra work to go through these processes? Absolutely! Does it severely dent some of the greatest traditions of who has the most caked helmet or who has the dirties and grimiest gear? Absolutely! But at the end of the day we all die anyway so why not make the best of those EXTREMELY valuable years after a career in the fire service? if it cost ya an extra step or two? I myself am all for the Clean Cab Concept!

The mentality behind it is to help lower risks of cancer more then the trucks themselves. Once upon a time dirty gear and dirty trucks was a sign of veterans and if your shit wasnt that way you were worthless. Now its clean everything as much as possible because we lose far too many people right after retirement to cancers they were likely exposed to on the job

As with most tech over time the cleaning methods will get cheaper and easier thus we will see more and more departments use a clean cab option. Though I have heard of departments that just store their gear outside of the cab (typically in one of the rear compartments that would be used for tools which i'm not generally a fan of) however they don't clean the gear generally like they should this is likely to decrease the time to go back into service. 

I don't know if this is really a debate though, I can't imagine many active Firefighters NOT concerned for their safety after the job is done. I do know that I've seen retirees (some still active) that look down upon Firefighters today as not being true Firefighters. the old smoke eaters will tell you how the job was for a real man back in the day "I went in with nothing but a cigarette in my mouth, a halligan in one hand. and I came out with a baby in the other" those old heads were shitting over the use of breathing apparatus now they're probably thinking these kids can't even deal with some smelly gear in the truck. Those would be the only type of guys I can imagine not being in favor of clean cab apparatus given what I know on the subject as it stands.

Personally one thing I think about when this comes up is how it will affect response times.. Not drastically, but its very common to see guys getting dressed in transit on the way to a call, In a clean cab truck that's obviously not going to be possible. On paper the response times will probably look better but you have to add in the fact that they're gearing up once they're already there and I'd like to know how they would go about doing that for reports. More than likely it'll just get forgotten and used as a political tool "We've been able to cut our Response times down by 15%" - "Oh sweet here's some more funding" 

Archived