Thread: How to remove Dirt from your vehicle (GPM models only)

1. kpdofficer's Avatar GPM Senior Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Images
    Posted 12-14-2011, 05:15 PM

So you start GTAIV and spawn an emergency vehicle and you look at it and say "geez, its dirty. Why is it so dirty". So you open SNT to clean your vehicle every time it gets dirty. well here is a quick and simple way to permanently remove dirt. Here is what you are going to need:

you need:
    1.your vehicle installed to your game
    2.A photo editing program (GIMP or Photoshop will do just fine. I suggest you use GIMP so you dont get lost. DO NOT USE PAINT!!)
    3.SparkIV or OpenIV
    4.BACKUP YOUR FILE OR TEXTURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THIS ONLY WORKS ON GPM DOWNLOADED CARS! THIS SIMPLE TRICK WILL NOT WORK ON THE ORIGINAL ROCKSTAR MODELS!!!!

take your time to check or download this things.

I accidentaly deleted the pictures showing the step by step. I hope the written tutorial is helpful.

lets Begin.

this tutorial will be seperated into 3 easy parts.

PART I

Open SparkIV or OpenIV. (For all examples i'll be using SparkIV only)

1. search for your vehicle.img file and open it. it should be in:

C:\....\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto IV\pc\models\cdimages

I will write down my file location for reference. looks like this

C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto IV\pc\models\cdimages

2. After you open your vehicles.img file, Look for the model you wish to remove the dirt from.
    (For this example I will use Police2) ((the model im using is Lt.Caine FORD CROWN VICTORIA / CVPI-V4.2L ELS))

3. After you find the model,you will see 2 names... One has .wtd at the end and the other has .wft. the file you want to open is the one that says .WTD at the end.

4. After you open your model's.wtd you will see all the vehicles textures inside. the texture you must look for has Dirt written next to the vehicle type. If you are using a Lt.Caine cvpi model like I am, then it should be right at the beginning. the first texture.
    If you are using Bxbugs123 model, then I dont know because I dont use his models. but I believe it should be the same as Lt.Caine.

Here are two things you need to look at

name of the texture
    height and width of the texture

for lt.caine cvpi model that im using its called

Name: CVPI_DIRT.png
    W&H: 1024x1024

5. Now you can do two things. either export the texture and edit it or create a brand new texture. In this case I will show you the easy way. but before we move on make sure you leave SparkIV or OpenIV open so you dont have to go back and do this all over again. now we move to part 2 of this tutorial.

PART II

For this part we will be working on the texture using a photo editing program.
    ( for this examples I will be using GIMP as my editing program.)

the goal is to make the texture transparent.

here we go:

1. start GIMP, Now once the program has fully opened, on the very top to the left click on "FILE" then click on "NEW" and make the image width 1024 and height 1024. (1024x1024)

2. now look to the top again and look for "Layer" click it and then look for "transparency", click it and then click on "Color to alpha" and then click "OK".

3. now the image is transparent. click "FILE" "SAVE AS" and name the image to what the vehicle dirt texture is called( in this case mine was CVPI_DIRT). after you name it save the file into a .PNG picture format... (so the name should look like this "CVPI_DIRT.png") save to your desktop and exit.

PART III

this last part is replacing the dirt texture with your transparent texture. The proces is the same as replacing a vehicle skin texture. but if you dont know i'll explain anyway.

1. if you read the last sentence of PART I, I suggested that you leave Spark or openIV open. If you did then continue to part 2, if you didnt then return to part 1 and do it again. then return to part 3

2. click on your dirt texture, then click "IMPORT" and import your transparent texture replacing the dirt texture. Click "save" to save the import. then after returning to the vehicle list you will see that your vehicle name is in blue. now go to the top of your program and click "save". after you saved it exit sparkIV or OpenIV.

3. this last part is simple. go into your game, after loading spawn an emergency vehicle. open your SNT, go to car options, look for "MAKE CAR DIRTY" and click it. you will notice that the car stays completely clean.
    if you see your car clean after making it dirty with SNT then you have succesfully made your car dirt-free and shiny. now go and and protect and serve Liberty City with your shiny clean car.

Enjoy and have fun
    My Youtube
    LCPDFR Commentary Videos, Minecraft, DayZ, FSX and More...
    Download my skins packs over at lcpdfr:
    For My download content - Click Here!
    For skins - Click Here!

2. lonestranger's Avatar GPM Senior Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Posted 12-14-2011, 08:11 PM

I may be wrong (I've never tried to remove dirt myself), but instead of a transparent texture, couldn't you just use a texture that's 100% opaque, 100% black? It would be useful for those without PS, GIMP, paint.net, PSP, etc.

You don't even need MS paint, just use the image below:

BANNED
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Posted 12-14-2011, 11:42 PM

I do the same thing, but I use a 2048x2048 black texture. It's nice to see a tutorial for it, though. It took me a while to figure out how it could be done.

4. GPM Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Posted 01-12-2012, 08:30 PM

I love lonestranger's way.Its simple and it works,Thanks