Thread: How to change ELS Lighting Reflections

GPM Senior Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Posted 03-04-2011, 12:08 PM

Okay, Lets say you have a mod, that has either RED / BLUE lights, or BLUE / BLUE lights, and when you activate ELS, the reflections from the lights appear red on buildings, and on the ground, sort of annoying when you have blue and red, or just blue light bars, correct? We are going to successfully fix that.

STEP 1: Go to your GTA IV or GTA EFLC ROOT directory.

Ex: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\grand theft auto iv episodes from liberty city\EFLC (STEAM). Or, C:\Program Files (x86)\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto IV (REGULAR INSTALL).

STEP 2: Open the file ELS.ini with notepad.

Now, for example, lets say you installed a Vehicle mod, for the "police" vehicle, remember, for GTA IV it goes police, and police2 for modification files, and for EFLC it goes from "police" to "police4" and "policeb." If you are uncertain in which vehicle you have replaced, please locate the mod you installed, and find the files for the model and texture, they should either be named "police.wtd" "police.wft" and so on.

as stated, for example, lets say you installed a mod for "police" (police.wtd and police.wft) that has a BLUE / BLUE lightbar. The reflections, by default will be RED / RED. We are going to change this to BLUE / BLUE.

So go into your ELS.ini file, scroll down until you see the following:

Code:
    [ POLICE ]

Active = 1

Halogen_Only = 0

Color_Light1L = 0

Color_Light2L = 0

Color_Light3R = 0

Color_Light4R = 0

Color_Light7L = 3

Color_Light8C = 3

Color_Light9R = 3

Offst_SLights = 3

Now before you go editing numbers, you will need to know number codes. Which is located in the following:

Code:
    Red = 0

Blue = 1

White = 2

Amber = 3

Green = 4

STEP 3: to make all the lights blue on your vehicle, change the Reds (0s) to:

Code:

[ POLICE ]

Active = 1

Halogen_Only = 0

Color_Light1L = 1

Color_Light2L = 1

Color_Light3R = 1

Color_Light4R = 1

Color_Light7L = 1

Color_Light8C = 1

Color_Light9R = 1

Offst_SLights = 0

STEP 4: Save your ELS.ini file, launch the game, and get into the police car, and test it out!

If need be, I can make a video tutorial of it. its not that hard to master though .
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CMPD Fallen Officer Memorial...

Officer Fred Thornton - EOW: 02-25-2011

"Every man dies, though not every man truly lives.."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[/right]

l3ubba's Avatar GPM Senior Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Images
    Posted 03-23-2011, 06:57 PM

That perfect, thanks dude, I always wondered if I could change that. One question though. Where it says "Color_Light1L=" and so on, how do I know which light each of those represents? Because one of the cars I have has all blue lights except for two lights in the back of the light bar which are the secondary lights and they are red. Is it just kinda trial and error testing until I get the right combo?
    Check out my GTA videos and screenshots.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Images
    Posted 03-23-2011, 07:16 PM

Actually disregard my previous post, I figured that out.

4. GPM Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Posted 04-05-2011, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by l3ubba
    Actually disregard my previous post, I figured that out.
    you said youd figured this out, can i ask how? and does this actually change the colour that the lightbar shows, say for example the light was flashing red would this change it to flash blue?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Images
    Posted 04-05-2011, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by squeakcmj
    you said youd figured this out, can i ask how? and does this actually change the colour that the lightbar shows, say for example the light was flashing red would this change it to flash blue?

I'm not sure if I'm right, but I put the Color_Light1L and Color_Light2L as red and I put Color_Light3R and Color_Light4R as blue and I left the ones that said 3 (the amber lights) as amber because those are the traffic advisory lights. It looks like the last letter in each line is the position of the light, so Color_Light1R is right, I'm just not sure which spot the 1 represents, but since all the light bars I've seen in this game have the right side as all red and the left side as all blue it doesn't matter. Basically for a red/blue light bar I have it set like this:

[ POLICE ]

Active = 1

Halogen_Only = 0

Color_Light1L = 0

Color_Light2L = 0

Color_Light3R = 1

Color_Light4R = 1

Color_Light7L = 3

Color_Light8C = 3

Color_Light9R = 3

Offst_SLights = 3

or if I have an all red light bar I leave the 1's as 0's and if it is all blue then I put the 0's as 1's and so on.

6. GPM Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Posted 04-06-2011, 01:08 AM

I'm not sure if I'm right, but I put the Color_Light1L and Color_Light2L as red and I put Color_Light3R and Color_Light4R as blue and I left the ones that said 3 (the amber lights) as amber because those are the traffic advisory lights. It looks like the last letter in each line is the position of the light, so Color_Light1R is right, I'm just not sure which spot the 1 represents, but since all the light bars I've seen in this game have the right side as all red and the left side as all blue it doesn't matter. Basically for a red/blue light bar I have it set like this:

[ POLICE ]

Active = 1

Halogen_Only = 0

Color_Light1L = 0

Color_Light2L = 0

Color_Light3R = 1

Color_Light4R = 1

Color_Light7L = 3

Color_Light8C = 3

Color_Light9R = 3

Offst_SLights = 3

or if I have an all red light bar I leave the 1's as 0's and if it is all blue then I put the 0's as 1's and so on.
    okay thanks for your help, this only changes the reflection thought does it?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Images
    Posted 04-06-2011, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by squeakcmj
    okay thanks for your help, this only changes the reflection thought does it?

Yeah only the reflections, if you want to change the actual colors of the light bar then you have to go into the WTD file of that car and scroll down until you see a picture of four different lights and a bunch of small light bars on the side and usually the car file you download comes with two different png files, one that is all blue and one that is red/blue, you just drag those onto your desk top then replace the png in the WTD file with the new one you want by importing it. There is probably another post on here that goes into more detail about it. If you need more help just PM me.

Sorry to go off topic Brant.

GPM Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Posted 11-12-2011, 05:46 PM

[ POLICE ]

Active = 1

Halogen_Only = 0

Color_Light1L = 0

Color_Light2L = 0

Color_Light3R = 1

Color_Light4R = 1

Color_Light7L = 3

Color_Light8C = 3

Color_Light9R = 3

Offst_SLights = 3

Thank you so much for the post, just what i needed to make my policecar complete

9. GPM Member
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Posted 11-13-2011, 01:16 AM

Great tutorial, it well help alot of people!

PM me for a custom Sig/Avatar!